why and how all life slowly deteriorates to eventually cause death
- Garratt M, Nakagawa S & Simons MJ (2017) Life-span Extension With Reduced Somatotrophic Signaling: Moderation of Aging Effect by Signal Type, Sex, and Experimental Cohort.. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. View this article in WRRO
- Hsu YH, Simons MJ, Schroeder J, Girndt A, Winney IS, Burke T & Nakagawa S (2017) Age-dependent trajectories differ between within-pair and extra-pair paternity success.. J Evol Biol. View this article in WRRO
- Sánchez-Tójar A, Winney I, Girndt A, Simons MJP, Nakagawa S, Burke T & Schroeder J (2016) Winter territory prospecting is associated with life-history stage but not activity in a passerine. Journal of Avian Biology. View this article in WRRO
- Stulp G, Simons MJP, Grasman S & Pollet TV (2016) Assortative mating for human height: A meta-analysis. American Journal of Human Biology. View this article in WRRO
- Schroeder J, Hsu Y-H, Winney I, Simons M, Nakagawa S & Burke T (2016) Predictably Philandering Females Prompt Poor Paternal Provisioning. The American Naturalist, 188(2), 000-000. View this article in WRRO
- Garratt M, Nakagawa S & Simons MJP (2016) Comparative idiosyncrasies in life extension by reduced mTOR signalling and its distinctiveness from dietary restriction. Aging Cell. View this article in WRRO
- Simons MJP, Briga M & Verhulst S (2016) Stabilising survival selection on pre-senescent expression of a sexual ornament followed by a terminal decline. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 29(7), 1368-1378. View this article in WRRO
- Costantini D, Edwards DP & Simons MJP (2016) Life after logging in tropical forests of Borneo: A meta-analysis. Biological Conservation, 196, 182-188. View this article in WRRO
- Verhulst S, Susser E, Factor-Litvak PR, Simons M, Benetos A, Steenstrup T, Kark JD & Aviv A (2016) Response to: Reliability and validity of telomere length measurements.. International Journal of Epidemiology, 45(4), 1298-1301. View this article in WRRO
- Speakman JR, Blount JD, Bronikowski AM, Buffenstein R, Isaksson C, Kirkwood TBL, Monaghan P, Ozanne SE, Beaulieu M, Briga M, Carr SK, Christensen LL, Cochemé HM, Cram DL, Dantzer B, Harper JM, Jurk D, King A, Noguera JC, Salin K, Sild E, Simons MJP, Smith S, Stier A, Tobler M, Vitikainen E, Peaker M & Selman C (2015) Oxidative stress and life histories: unresolved issues and current needs. Ecology and Evolution, 5(24), 5745-5757. View this article in WRRO
- Verhulst S, Susser E, Factor-Litvak PR, Simons MJP, Benetos A, Steenstrup T, Kark JD & Aviv A (2015) Commentary: The reliability of telomere length measurements. International Journal of Epidemiology, 44(5), 1683-1686. View this article in WRRO
- Simons M (2015) Questioning causal involvement of telomeres in ageing. Ageing Research Reviews. View this article in WRRO
- Simons MJP, Winney I, Nakagawa S, Burke T & Schroeder J (2015) Limited catching bias in a wild population of birds with near-complete census information. Ecology and Evolution, 5(16), 3500-3506. View this article in WRRO
- Simons MJP, Groothuis TGG & Verhulst S (2015) An appraisal of how the vitamin A-redox hypothesis can maintain honesty of carotenoid-dependent signals. Ecology and Evolution, 5(1), 224-228. View this article in WRRO
- van der Vinne V, Simons MJP, Reimert I & Gerkema MP (2014) Temporal niche switching and reduced nest attendance in response to heat dissipation limits in lactating common voles (Microtus arvalis). Physiology & Behavior, 128, 295-302.
- van de Werken M, Booij SH, van der Zwan JE, Simons MJP, Gordijn MCM & Beersma DGM (2014) The biological clock modulates the human cortisol response in a multiplicative fashion. Chronobiology International, 31(4), 572-580.
- Simons MJP, Briga M, Leenknegt B & Verhulst S (2014) Context-dependent effects of carotenoid supplementation on reproduction in zebra finches. Behavioral Ecology, 25(4), 945-950.
- Simons MJP, Maia R, Leenknegt B & Verhulst S (2014) Carotenoid-Dependent Signals and the Evolution of Plasma Carotenoid Levels in Birds. The American Naturalist, 184(6), 741-751.
- Simons MJP, Stulp G & Nakagawa S (2014) A statistical approach to distinguish telomere elongation from error in longitudinal datasets. Biogerontology, 15(1), 99-103.
- Simons MJP, Koch W & Verhulst S (2013) Dietary restriction of rodents decreases aging rate without affecting initial mortality rate - a meta-analysis. Aging Cell, 12(3), 410-414.
- Boonekamp JJ, Simons MJP, Hemerik L & Verhulst S (2013) Telomere length behaves as biomarker of somatic redundancy rather than biological age. Aging Cell, 12(2), 330-332.
- Simons MJP, Cohen AA & Verhulst S (2012) What Does Carotenoid-Dependent Coloration Tell? Plasma Carotenoid Level Signals Immunocompetence and Oxidative Stress State in Birds–A Meta-Analysis. PLoS ONE, 7(8), e43088-e43088. View this article in WRRO
- Simons MJP, Briga M, Koetsier E, Folkertsma R, Wubs MD, Dijkstra C & Verhulst S (2012) Bill Redness Is Positively Associated with Reproduction and Survival in Male and Female Zebra Finches. PLoS ONE, 7(7), e40721-e40721. View this article in WRRO
- Simons MJP, Reimert I, van der Vinne V, Hambly C, Vaanholt LM, Speakman JR & Gerkema MP (2011) Ambient temperature shapes reproductive output during pregnancy and lactation in the common vole (Microtus arvalis): a test of the heat dissipation limit theory. Journal of Experimental Biology, 214(1), 38-49.
- Simons MJP & Verhulst S (2011) Zebra finch females prefer males with redder bills independent of song rate--a meta-analysis. Behavioral Ecology, 22(4), 755-762.
- Simons MJP (2009) The Evolution of the Cyanobacterial Posttranslational Clock from a Primitive “Phoscillator”. Journal of Biological Rhythms, 24(3), 175-182.
- Brunner M, Simons MJP & Merrow M (2008) Lego clocks: building a clock from parts. Genes & Development, 22(11), 1422-1426.